RE: Complete juvenile theropod unveiled in Germany

Although of course my opinion could change based on the published description,
I stand by my earlier identification of the new theropod as something like
Juravenator, if not a member of the same genus.  It has all of the diagnostic
characters of Juravenator listed by Chiappe and Gohlich (2010) which can be
evaluated- large skull, few maxillary teeth, subequally long antorbital
fenestra and orbit, identical humeroscapular, metatarsofemoral and
scapulofemoral ratios, scapula narrowest at neck, etc..  It doesn't have
Juravenator's supposed maxillary notch, but I've always argued that was
taphonomic.  All of the bones look pretty much identical- the scapula, ilium,
manus proportions, obtuse lacrimal, very short and high bases on the unguals,
maybe even the odd vertically projected and curved caudal prezygapophyses
(though these are hard to make out in the new specimen).  Of course at least
some of these are probably due to young age.  Maybe compsognathids as currently
recognized are united by ontogenetic features and at least some taxa like
Juravenator and Scipionyx are baby carnosaurs or megalosaurs instead of
coelurosaurs.  But I'd be very surprised if this specimen and Juravenator
aren't the same kind of theropod, whatever they are.

Mickey Mortimer