RE: Complete juvenile theropod unveiled in Germany

  As I am sure Mickey will remember, and I've said before, the type of
*Juravenator starki* is represented by a juvenile. The large head? That's a
juvenile "thing," and it's been demonstrated in enough ontogenetic
presentations that I shouldn't need to qualify it at this moment. As also
mentioned, the close similarity of juveniles in other groups of reptiles tend
to be very close together: later ontogeny is where development of unique
features begin, but homogeneity is the rule at the hatchling level. It gets to
the point that a juvenile, especially a hatchling, bears absolutely no real
autapomorphic attributes unless that taxon is _so unique_ as to differ from
entire swaths of close kin. Yes, a lot of what I am saying is anecdotal, but I
am fairly certain that it is, at this time, improbable to even attempt to infer
that either specimen should be the same taxon, much less _different_ taxa. It
does the science of systematics no favors.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)
  http://qilong.wordpress.com/