RE: Complete juvenile theropod unveiled in Germany

  Understand that I do not take with Horner's view in this context because the
actual argument I made was that the juveniles of related but disimilar adult
taxa can be quite similar, if not impossible to tell apart. This inference is
made especially clear in various publications assessing the ontogeny of
hadrosauroids, especially lambeosaurines, as in Brink et al. 2011., which I
covered (without attribution) here:
https://qilong.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/o-crest-less-one/ . It is impossible,
in my view, based on _current_ analysis, to determine the complexity of the
taxonomy based on juveniles, hatchlings, etc. of virtually any paleontological
taxon. Due to this, I argue that one should not name taxa on this basis. But
this does not mean that these taxa _do not exist_, merely that our tools or
options are not strong enough to differentiate them at the youngest levels.

  Of course, I have no idea what Rauhut et al. have to say, and will wait for
the paper before saying they cannot make the case their taxon is distinct
enough.

Brink, K. S., Zelenitsky D. K., Evans, D. C., Therrien, F. & Horner, J. R.
2011. A sub-adult skull of *Hypacrosaurus stebingeri* (Ornithischia:
Lambeosaurinae): Anatomy and comparison. _Historical Biology_ 23(1):63-72.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)
  http://qilong.wordpress.com/