Re: tiny-armed theropods

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Matthew Martyniuk <martyniuk@gmail.com> wrote:

> If the companion volume is already pretty much written and waiting for
> publication,

It's not; it's still being edited.

> certainly Troodontidae will be the name getting
> definitional priority,

I think you are overestimating the level of coverage it will provide.
I can't say for certain right now whether "Troodontidae" is in it, but
I'm fairly sure it's not. I think there will probably be about a dozen
or so dinosaurian clade names in the volume, and that's far better
coverage than most groups are getting.

> so better start drafting an appeal for
> suppression. If it were really desirable to avoid names based on
> nomina dubia, why doesn't PhyloCode stipulate that clades can't be
> anchored on them?

Because 'nomen dubium' is an arbitrary designation.

The PhyloCode does have some *recommendations* in this general spirit,
though. See Recs. 11B–C:
http://www.ohio.edu/phylocode/art11.html#rec11b

--
T. Michael Keesey