Re: Kraken vs. Ichthyosaurs

On Sat, October 15, 2011 2:40 pm, Andy Grass wrote:
> Does anyone know if this whole spectacle is causing GSA to rethink
> their abstract acceptance process?

Honestly? Probably not much.

Sad to say, to many of the rest in the geosciences, THIS is precisely the
quality of science they expect from paleontologists, and especially of
vertebrate paleontology. (Yes, McMenamin is mostly a Precambrian worker,
but still...) Very frustrating indeed. If any of you are still getting in
to the profession, you have to come to terms with this.

And spend as much effort as you can explaining what we can know, what we
can't, what we can infer, and what we have to say "we just don't know."

I am hoping, however, that although GSA *might* rethinking what they
choose to put in their press releases...

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/