Eagerly Awaited and Sailing Your Way

Surprised no one's mentioned this (that I know of):

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0025693

Butler, R. J., Brusatte, S. L., Reich, M., Nesbitt, S. J., Schoch, R. R. &
Hornung, J. J. 2011. The sail-based reptile *Ctenosauriscus* from the latest
Early Jurassic of Germany and the timing and biogeography of the early
archosaur radiation. _PLoS ONE_ 6(10):e25693. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0025693

Abstract:
Background
Archosaurs (birds, crocodilians and their extinct relatives including
dinosaurs) dominated Mesozoic continental ecosystems from the Late Triassic
onwards, and still form a major component of modern ecosystems (>10,000
species). The earliest diverse archosaur faunal assemblages are known from the
Middle Triassic (c. 244 Ma), implying that the archosaur radiation began in the
Early Triassic (252.3–247.2 Ma). Understanding of this radiation is currently
limited by the poor early fossil record of the group in terms of skeletal
remains.

Methodology/Principal Findings
We redescribe the anatomy and stratigraphic position of the type specimen of
*Ctenosauriscus koeneni* (Huene), a sail-backed reptile from the Early Triassic
(late Olenekian) Solling Formation of northern Germany that potentially
represents the oldest known archosaur. We critically discuss previous
biomechanical work on the ‘sail’ of *Ctenosauriscus*, which is formed by a
series of elongated neural spines. In addition, we describe
*Ctenosauriscus*-like postcranial material from the earliest Middle Triassic
(early Anisian) Röt Formation of Waldhaus, southwestern Germany. Finally, we
review the spatial and temporal distribution of the earliest archosaur fossils
and their implications for understanding the dynamics of the archosaur
radiation.

Conclusions/Significance
Comprehensive numerical phylogenetic analyses demonstrate that both
*Ctenosauriscus* and the Waldhaus taxon are members of a monophyletic grouping
of poposauroid archosaurs, Ctenosauriscidae, characterised by greatly elongated
neural spines in the posterior cervical to anterior caudal vertebrae. The
earliest archosaurs, including *Ctenosauriscus*, appear in the body fossil
record just prior to the Olenekian/Anisian boundary (c. 248 Ma), less than 5
million years after the Permian–Triassic mass extinction. These earliest
archosaur assemblages are dominated by ctenosauriscids, which were broadly
distributed across northern Pangea and which appear to have been the first
global radiation of archosaurs.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)