Re: tiny-armed theropods

Mickey Mortimer <mickey_mortimer111@msn.com> wrote:

> Similarly, your closing paragraph exemplifies why we end up talking past each
> other.  I argue about what the current rules are, while
> you argue about how you would like things to be, as if that has any force in
> the decisions we make about nomenclature and
> taxonomy.

But Mickey... the current rules are not being practiced as it is.  Who
uses Deinodontidae, or Atlantosauridae, or Podokesauridae, or
Ornithopsidae, etc etc, any more?  When it comes to family-level taxa,
the ICZN is already being ignored, because some of its requirements
are simply not practical.  These aren't whims - it's commonsense.

Cheers

Tim