RE: tiny-armed theropods

> Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:52:50 +1100
> From: tijawi@gmail.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: tiny-armed theropods
>
> Mickey Mortimer <mickey_mortimer111@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > Similarly, your closing paragraph exemplifies why we end up talking past
> > each other. I argue about what the current rules are, while
> > you argue about how you would like things to be, as if that has any force
> > in the decisions we make about nomenclature and
> > taxonomy.

> But Mickey... the current rules are not being practiced as it is.

 So...your argument now is "if some laws are being ignored, we should get a
whole new legal system, because it would be too hard to fix things" ?    I very
much hope I'm misreading your argument.

> Who
> uses Deinodontidae, or Atlantosauridae, or Podokesauridae, or
> Ornithopsidae, etc etc, any more? When it comes to family-level taxa,
> the ICZN is already being ignored, because some of its requirements
> are simply not practical.

 that reminds me - what is the type specimen of _Dinosauria_?   surely after
over a century of new discoveries, it is even less secure than _Troodon_'s type
fossil in Troodontidae(sp).