Re: Saurasapiens

2011/10/17  <john-schneiderman@cox.net>:

> Crows are omnivores, have complex [2 dialect] communication, opportunistic,
> and function within a close extended family.
> It doesn't have the largest brain to body size, compared to Parrots and
> other robust seed eaters.

Al these data are interesting; that regarding a relationship between
brain size and something different from cognition as is skull
robustness is more to me. One may think of the generally robust
neanderthals and their relatively large brain and more powerful build
(although we cannot test their cognition compared to ours). This would
be tested in oviraptoroids, with apparently robust beaks, compared to
troodontids (not so related idea: may strong biting force create a
selective force for small tooth loss? I know that the other
alternative is that the tooth get stronger themselves to deal with the
stronger biting, but I think replacing tiny teeth with a beak may be a
good alternative). I would think oviraptoroids have larger EQs than
troodontids, but cannot find much on their EQs. Regarding omnivory, I
always thought that relying on a variety of foods may enhance
cognition because of an increase in the stimuli to deal with because
of more feeding items. This may hold for humans, most anthropoids, and
probably crows. However, masticatory apparatus strenght may have
something to do (would it be possible in the case of nut-cracker
hominids?). Crows do have relatively gross beaks compared with other
birds also.