Re: nice cover painting - Re: NEW BOOK: Dinosaurs of Eastern Iberia

2011/10/19 Mike Keesey <keesey@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Canids commonly trot with open mouths, so other animals making use of
>> high cursing velocity and aerobic metabolism, as dinosaurs are
>> currently considered, may behave similarly. Overall, that seems to be
>> the case in canids when pursuing prey, moment at which oxygen uptake
>> may increase. That in addition to panting, which may be common in
>> active cursors.
>
> Or, a little closer to home, phylogenetically speaking:
> http://images.letsbuyit.co.uk/original/30/40/two-male-ostriches-running-during-dispute-etosha-national-park-namibia-photographic-print-23-x-30-5744030.jpeg
>
> (Granted, most pics of ostriches running show them with mouths closed.)

May not this mouth opening just reflect some attempt to fight between these two?

2011/10/19 Jura <pristichampsus@yahoo.com>:
> As elitist as this is going to sound, "mouth breathing" is a distinctly
> mammalian thing. Reptiles and birds both breathe almost entirely through the
> nose, even when they are going full out.

Sounds logical. For lizards and crocs mostly rely on anaerobiosis,
while birds may have such an efficient mechanism of O2 uptake that
they may not need to increase it by mouth-breathing. However, I do not
know if birds ever have to rely in mouth breathing during aerial
chases (as either prey or predators), which would better compare with
the moments in which we mammals need to take some extra O2, above our
common sustained aerobic capacity (I suppose filming bird aerial
chases in such a detail in these cases would be very difficult).