Re: nice cover painting - Re: NEW BOOK: Dinosaurs of Eastern Iberia

Thanks for the data! Now I wonder if even dog mouth breathing is not
just a consequence of panting instead of increase in oxygen uptaking
during chases. What I understand from your points is that mouth
breathing is just consequence of panting in reptiles, including birds.

However, I think that observing that aerobic exercise above normal
levels does not require opening the mouth, as you indicate for birds
and other reptiles, does not imply that the reptiles will not open the
mouths to breathe when the aerobic exercise is even higher than some
maximal capacity breathing only through the nares can permit.

However, as strenuous aerobic exercise would generate much heat, the
usefulness of mouth breathing will be difficult to test because mouth
opening can be the result of overheating instead (some careful
experiment lowering environmental temperature as the temperature of
the animal increases may be required).