Re: Dinos and Mythology

I assume that you're also a fan of Adrienne Mayor then too? Her "First
Fossil Hunters" was great. I've also read a little bit on
Indo-European Lingsuistics (and via that IE Mythology and Poetry) and
'the dragon' is a considerable theme there also. Lots of people used
to think that the original IE speakers were from central asia (or
maybe a little bit west of that), which is a bit off from the Gobi,
but perhaps they tended to encounter dinosaur-ish fossils often
enough.
Others suggest the IE speakers originated in the Ukraine (but its
still up for debate), I don't /think/ that there are too many
localities there that easily bear fossils.

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 4:05 AM, david <david@brainpets.com> wrote:

> I've been collecting materials on this topic for a documentary theme - the
> social aspects of paleontology are fascinating.
> One source stands above everything else I've been able to scratch together -
> unfortunately it's in German:
>
> Fossilien im Volksglauben und im Alltag
> (http://www.amazon.de/Fossilien-im-Volksglauben-Alltag/dp/3510610512)
>
> Topics cover all the mentioned cases here plus:
> the Lindwurm (Plateosaurus,rhinoceros)
> the unicorn (goat, narwhale, mammoth)
> thunderstones, stone-coins, snake-stones
> ammoniten as holy water-stones (japan, england)
> cyclops (swarf elephant, rhinoceros skulls)
>
> Very quick and dirty translations... ping me if you have any specific
> translation interests
>

> On 10/20/2011 17:20, David Krentz wrote:
>>
>>   There are many creatures throughout the various traditions of mythology
>> that are 'reptilian' in nature.  Dragons, Basilisks, Wyverns , Tarasques,
>> Ki-rin, etc. Also, various sea creatures like Leviathan and Jormungandr etc
>> also seems to be built on the reptilian model.  I know there have been some
>> attempts to link mythological creatures to fossil evidence -like the Griffon
>> and Cyclops- but is it entirely reasonable to assume that some of these
>> creatures were 'inspired' by dinosaur bones?  One can only imagine what an
>> ancient chinese farmer would think of a giant sauropod neck within close
>> proximity of a theropod skull.

Robert J. Schenck
Kingsborough Community College
Physical Sciences Department