RE: Dinosaur Hoaxes

  It may be inapproproate to construe some of these as "hoaxes." the word is
charged, and given the political nature of both modern and past hoaxes, can
cause the word to carry its meaning away from what actually happened with the
material, or imply that the circumstances of the material in question implicate
all involved as "hoaxers." In the case of "Archaeoraptor," virtually none of
the persons involved actually believed the material to be falsely construed and
yet passed it off as such, a distinct difference from the Piltdown hoax, in
which it is presumed even Sir Doyle was involved knowingly to perpetrate the
fraud.

  Some things argued to be hoaxes or frauds turned out to be actual artifacts
mistakenly identified (the Paluxy River tracks of Glen Rose, Texas, some
idiot's interpretation of the Laetoli australopithecine footprints), while
others were irregular preservation then modified to allude to a reconstruction
(*Irritator challenger* was not fully prepared and had a pterosaur snout stuck
on the end, because the guys actually thought it was a pterosaur, while the
holotype jaw of *Samrukia nessovi* was implied to be a caenagnathid and both
mandibular rami were reconstructed as such, but it isn't a caenagnathid, and
was later interpreted to be avian instead when the material was actually
published).

  Dozens upon dozens of specimens from Liaoning quarries are mocked up to be
more complete than they are, by either people who do not know better attempting
to make their work more appealing in their completeness, or by people who do
know better simply cutting and pasting to fashion a "whole" element that seems
"plausible" (the former occurred with "Archaeoraptor" -- the holotype of
*Microraptor zhaoianus* and *Archaeovolans repatriatus* -- while the latter
occurred with *Microraptor gui*). Some of these specimens merely combine extra
partial specimens of *Confuciusornis sanctus* or whathaveyou, and now we are
told they all receive scrutiny to peer through the artifice of collectors
"fixing them up."

  "Eggs" are often concretions passed off as real eggs, but most geologists can
tell the difference (so I hear), and they are usually used to support the
impression of having made a find, rather than actually hoaxing anyone into
believing they are real. That is more a case of self-delusion than deluding
others.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)