Re: Dinosauria: Original Definition VS Clade Conversion (WAS: Re: tiny-armed theropods)

On 22 October 2011 09:57, Jocelyn Falconnet <j.falconnet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Joke apart, Owen having used *Megalosaurus*, *Iguanodon*, and *Hylaeosaurus*
> to define his Dinosauria, it would have been interesting to preserve the use
> of the original specifiers - the underlying issue being the validity of
> these taxa. *Megalosaurus* was indeed considered by some (Molnar et al.,
> 1990; Allain & Chure, 2002) as a dubious taxon until its recent resurrection
> by Benson et al. (2008) - though I know that some paleontologists were not
> pleased with it. And, of course, *Iguanodon* was assigned a new type species
> (*I. bernissartensis*) to stabilize ornithopod taxonomy.
> I read numerous papers dealing with the phylogenetic taxonomy of dinosaurs.
> As far as I know, no one has ever proposed to use Owen's specifiers... Did
> you ever hear of a such attempt ?

The best place for answering such questions is TaxonSearch at
        http://www.taxonsearch.org/dev/taxon_search.php

It's not taken very seriously because *every* *single* phylogenetic
definition is replaced by a new one of Sereno 2005, but if you ignore
the Active Definition parts of the pages, the Definitional History
sections are very good.  In this case,
        http://www.taxonsearch.org/dev/taxon_edit.php?Action=View&tax_id=2
shows that Olshevsky (2000:3) suggested a definition of (Megalosaurus
+ Iguanodon).

The last draft I saw of the PhyloCode companion volume's Dinosauria
entry was using (Megalosaurus + Iguanodon + Hylaeosaurus).

-- Mike.