Re: Tyrannosaurus was not a fat boy or girl

On 10/23/2011 3:27 AM, John R. Hutchinson wrote:

How accurately can one make a scale physical model of a skeleton and how
accurately do they add flesh to it? How reproducible are those methods and
how much investigator bias is there?

Vivian Allen wrote:

As we discussed in the paper, it is very difficult to remove
the effects of subjectivity when reconstructing morphology, but
computerised modelling will always have the advantage of an
immediately accessible and quantifiable relationship to the fossil
material, to a degree not present in all but the most sophisticated
physical modelling techniques.

Might I be so bold as to propose a contest? Apply all the various techniques to a known sample of extant taxa, and see which one wins. Could be worked as a double-blind, and a prize could be awarded.

I won't mention beer as a possible prize, because I don't want to be seen as promoting a stereotype -- but that could work, I suppose...