Re: Fwd: Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

> Datum:     Sun, 23 Oct 2011 11:52:15 -0500
> Von:     Clair Ossian <clastic@verizon.net>
>
> Hmmm...I suggest you try to sit in or build a nest in a cycad.
>
> I grow a number of species and have seen and handled many other species.
> Cycads commonly have inflexible fronds and leaflets that are generally
> sharp, jagged, and very easily inflict bloody wounds on mammals (me) when
> the plants are handled.
>
> I have been savagely ripped up on a number of occasions when moving or
> repotting one :)
>
> I suspect that cycads did not make favored nest sites.
>
> Clair Russell Ossian, Ph.D.
> Professor Emeritus, Geology

Sifakas seem unfazed by leaping into trees bearing wicked-looking spines. There
are also several
bird species that nest in large cacti.

For a small arboreal Mesozoic avian (or non-avian), a spiky cycad might have
made a great refuge
from much larger predators. I suspect there would have been a size limit to the
creatures that
could negotiate the spikes safely though.

Dann Pigdon