On the economics and ethics of Open and Closed Access

Folks,

Over the last few years, I've written a fair bit about open-access
publishing on the Sauropod Vertebra Picture Of The Week blog.  (I'm in
favour.)  A question that often comes up in response to my more
naively idealistic posts is: who is going to pay for it?  Where will
the money come from?

This weekend I discovered a rather startling fact about the relative
costs of open and paywalled publishing, which I think most publishing
scientists on both these lists would find interesting.  Enjoy:

http://svpow.wordpress.com/2011/10/22/economics-of-open-source-publishing/

-- Mike.