Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

Tim's point regarding birds nesting in abrasive plants is well taken, as is
Don's comments on Cycads etc.  However, I still find myself asking the
question: is there any reason we keep trying to put Archaeopteryx (and close
relatives) into elevated positions to begin with?  Don already pointed out
that, at best, we simply cannot exclude some arboreal roosting, etc for
Archaeopteryx.  We have no evidence that Archie was absolutely confined to
terrestrial life, but we have nothing to suggest it was arboreal in any
meaningful way, either.  As a result, I find myself a bit mystified by the
continued attempts at building scenarios in which Archaeopteryx spent time
climbing about.  Yes, perhaps it did.  But one can imagine that many
maniraptorans could get into trees, given the right tree.  Deinonychus could
probably get into a tree, but I'm not sure the possibility merits much
discussion.  It's a level of behavioral specificity we cannot determine in
fossil animals, as best I can tell.

Cheers,

--Mike

Michael Habib