Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

A friend once suggested a hypothesis to me.  He proposed that the asymmetrical
vanes on primary feathers may allow tighter folding of the wing. I personally
don't really see why that would be - since the proximal, or trailing, vane
remains broad and  is overlapped by the more proximal primaries. But perhaps
having a  slender leading vane on the distalmost primary helps protect that
feather and the ones behind it from fraying? I have no idea.

Jason Brougham
Senior Principal Preparator
American Museum of Natural History
jaseb@amnh.org