RE: Archie a bird not a dino

  No, it is a pigeon, *Columba livia* [putresens, if you hear tell the general
acclaim from us citigoers], commonly known as "rats with wings," even if that
attribution is given to bats in more rural locales. It is a extant bird posed
in the nature of *Archaeopteryx lithographica*. There are two instances of
this:

  1, in an attempt to decry the hoaxing of *Archaeopteryx lithographica*, a
project by Fred Hoyle in 1986 asserted that taking an extant avian (a pigeon or
dove, I forget and have not read his _masterpiece_ on the subject), and
flattening it, then placing the remains on a prepared limestone slab which was
then coated with a solution including "muddy" limestone which would cover the
elements and also provide a matrix into which feathers would be impressed. He
used this technique to "prove" the material was a hoax. It was disproven by the
late Alan Charig by dendrites.
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/archaeopteryx/forgery.html has the fully
details, and links that will lead to silly arguments "proving" the process was
a hoax.

  2, there have been, I think two, attempts to replicate the taphonomic process
that results in a Archie-like post (outspread wings, head thrown back, legs
splayed but not ridiculously extended) using extant birds. I do not remember
what the principles were, nor who performed them, although one of these was
published (I think). Is that clear enough? Sorry.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)
  http://qilong.wordpress.com/