Re: giant toothed bird-species or genus that lasts 50 million yrs?

Also keep in mind that pelagornithids have all of the traits one would expect
from a group that lasts a long time with relatively low species diversity -
they were mobile and widespread, in particular.

As a bit of a shameless plug, look for my co-authored talk (with Justin Hall)
at SVP next week on pelagornithid flight dynamics if you're interested in just
how fast and far they were likely to traveled.  Probably the best glide ratio
of any bird ever.

Cheers,

--Mike H.

On Oct 27, 2011, at 9:52 AM, Jocelyn Falconnet wrote:

> Le 27/10/2011 14:51, Brian Hathaway a écrit :
>> This seems to be an awfully long time for a single (or closely related)group
>> of
>> a species to last (to me)?
>> Is there anything in the non-avian dino record that is equivalent?
>>
>> http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatbirdblog/2010/10/07/breaking-news-prehistoric-bird’s-wingspan-is-largest-ever-recorded/
>>

>> http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2010/09/16/3013480.htm
>>
> Check heterodontosaurids, for instance. They form a very small clade of
> which representatives are known from the Late Triassic to the Berriasian
> (> 60 Ma). And I remind you that pelagornithids includes currently about
> a dozen genera, and that many fragmentary specimens have been reported
> all around the world.
>
> Jocelyn

Michael Habib
Assistant Professor of Biology