Re: so, would it be surprising, or not, to find an almost identical specimen of a dino (say, allosaurus)....

By my reading of that article they're referring to the entire group,
"order" or whatever you want to call it lasting 50 million years, not
any specific genus or species. If not, they made a mistake, as there
is no evidence any of the dozens of individual species lasted that
long.

Matt