Re: so, would it be surprising, or not, to find an almost identical specimen of a dino (say, allosaurus)....

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Habib, Michael <MHabib@chatham.edu> wrote:

> Incidentally, I believe the modern genus Rhinolophus is assigned to some late
> Eocene taxa, as well as fossil taxa throughout the later Paleogene and
> Neogene - so that would be a long-lasting example from the genera pool,
> though the subjectivity of genera makes it a bit uninteresting.

Exactly. Keep in mind generic names are little more than bookkeeping tools.

It'd be nice if there were some objective measure of morphological
change so that we could scientifically address matters like these.
Counting acquisitions of derived traits is probably the best we can
do, but even this has some level of subjectivity.

--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/