RE: Archaeopteryx age-related taphonomy

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of evelyn sobielski
> > This is unusual from an avian (sensu strictu = Neornithes) point of
> > view, but not for a general dinosaurian point of view. The vast
> > majority of dinosaur fossils are from subadults, not fully adult
> > individuals.
> >
> > If, as previous work indicates, the modern avian growth mode (where
> > fully body sized is achieved in <1 yr) did not evolve until deep
> > within Avialae, then there is no unusual phenomenon to
> explain. It is
> > simply the general dinosaurian growth pattern at work.
> Certainly. I think a "saurian" mode of growth is null
> hypothesis for Archie and perhaps 2as good as proven".
> What puzzles me is that there is no known Archie hatchling,
> and that there is only one juvie (there are 2 late subadults
> and there are many mid-late subadults). Is this commmon?

Yes, hatchlings are very rare for most dinosaurs (esp. outside of eolian

Hone and Rauhut
discuss the possibility that high
levels of predation may be the reason that juveniles are so rare. Of course,
taphonomy may be a factor too (especially for taxa
where the juveniles are orders of magnitude smaller than the adult).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
Fax: 301-314-9661