RE: Archaeopteryx age-related taphonomy

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of evelyn sobielski
>
> > This is unusual from an avian (sensu strictu = Neornithes) point of
> > view, but not for a general dinosaurian point of view. The vast
> > majority of dinosaur fossils are from subadults, not fully adult
> > individuals.
> >
> > If, as previous work indicates, the modern avian growth mode (where
> > fully body sized is achieved in <1 yr) did not evolve until deep
> > within Avialae, then there is no unusual phenomenon to
> explain. It is
> > simply the general dinosaurian growth pattern at work.
>
> Certainly. I think a "saurian" mode of growth is null
> hypothesis for Archie and perhaps 2as good as proven".
>
> What puzzles me is that there is no known Archie hatchling,
> and that there is only one juvie (there are 2 late subadults
> and there are many mid-late subadults). Is this commmon?

Yes, hatchlings are very rare for most dinosaurs (esp. outside of eolian
deposits).

Hone and Rauhut
(http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1502-3931.2009.00187.x/abstract)
discuss the possibility that high
levels of predation may be the reason that juveniles are so rare. Of course,
taphonomy may be a factor too (especially for taxa
where the juveniles are orders of magnitude smaller than the adult).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/