Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

Am 27.10.2011 10:30, schrieb Don Ohmes:

 I am agnostic on the limits on upstroke amplitude in basal birds due
 to limited data and skills -- I am just pointing out that if they
 were severely limited in the manner that I have read is ascribed to
 Arch., then a path to powered flight that did not initially exploit
 gravity as the primary energy source rather than muscle power is not
 clear -- at least to me.

What about this scenario?
http://www.dinosauria.com/jdp/archie/feather.htm

> Nevertheless, it is possible that these gliders might have used
> simple flapping motions in order to gain height or added forward
> momentum during the glide.

 Yes. Actually, I think that is a safe assumption, unless they were
 all dead-enders -- and even then...

What do you mean by "dead-enders"?