Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

Yes, sir, Mr. Hartman and I have corresponded about it previously.

It may be true that a lack of humeral remiges corresponds with proportionally
short humeri, or it may not: that is a hypothesis that can be tested (I don't
think it should be assumed a priori). I am finding humeral remiges absent in
sample galliforms (quails) and corvids (jays) in my preliminary pterylographic
search.

An experimental test would be simple: take birds with a humeral length to body
mass ratio the same as the distribution in Archaeopteryx specimens of varying
sizes, cut the humeral feathers, and see if  the modern birds can fly and/or
what performance (if any) is lost.

The reason I am skeptical is that the putative "gap" between the body wall and
secondaries that is often mentioned is less of a gap if we consider that the
humerus diverges from the body wall at something near 45 degrees, and that
there is a broad propatagium as well, even in forms as basal as Microraptor.
The gap then is reduced to a small notch between the knee and elbow. I wish I
could attach a small diagram here to demonstrate.

I'll consult my copy of Nitsch's Pterylography and report back.