Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

In short, yes, the tertials vary considerably in contribution to the wing, and
there are living taxa with significant inboard contribution from the tertials.
Note that swallows, again, have relatively short humeri.  That means that our
best bet is to simply look at Archaeopteryx directly, and reconstruct the
airfoil from those specimens with good wing impressions (Berlin, Thermopolis)
to determine how much of a gap would actually be present inboard.  There is no
one slam-dunk modern model in that regard, so it's a do-it-the-hard-way
scenario.  As Jason pointed out, the angle at which the humerus is held becomes
critical in that case.

--Mike H.