Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

On Oct 28, 2011, at 3:44 PM, Don Ohmes wrote:

> Perhaps irrelevant, but -- I once did wing mutilation experiments on
> Carpenter Bees (X. virginica) [snip]...

> ...My point, relative to this thread -- I also tried clipping the
> secondaries only, which created a gap between wing and body -- these
> bees apparently could not generate lift under any density conditions.

> The inboard wing is important, at least to these animals.

Very cool experiments!  The results would seem to validate the expectations
from insect flight theory (specifically wing inertia effects on muscle recoil)
that Robert Dudley and others suggested some time ago.  That's awesome.  Were
those results ever published?

> Also -- domesticated mallard ducks fly well -- it is a traditional
> husbandry practice to clip their feathers periodically to keep them
> close to home. This offers both a body of practical knowledge, and the
> opportunity to experiment...

Excellent point.  There are few geese that could be used for similar reasons,
as well.  Might be worth pursuing...

Cheers,

--Mike H.

Michael Habib