Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

On 10/28/2011 4:20 PM, Habib, Michael wrote:

Very cool experiments!  The results would seem to validate the expectations
from insect flight theory (specifically wing inertia effects on muscle recoil)
that Robert Dudley and others suggested some time ago.  That's awesome.  Were
those results ever published?

No -- we're just talking used (plastic) Pepsi bottles, some valve stems, a 12v tire pump and some bees that were eating my house. Not that I really mind about the house. I just wanted to verify quickly/cheaply that increased density makes higher wingloading flyable in flapping fliers. Circa '96-ish...

Heh. Replication would be tricky, unless someone buys me another refrigerator so I can cool them down. Although ice works.

Ah, the simple life...