Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

Don Ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just guessing -- none of you guys have ever so much as climbed a tree?

I have climbed trees.  But I've never roosted in one.  Big difference.   ;-)

> The idea that a crow-sized animal like Archie could not sleep in a tree is
> bogus. Coons curl up in tree crotches like you might curl up
> on a couch. Absolutely no holding involved...

Yes, but... raccoons are procyonids, which (like placentals and
carnivoramorphs in general) are primitively adapted for arboreal
locomotion.  Although raccoons feed mostly on the ground or in
streams, the bauplan is still essentially that of a procyonid.  To me,
comparing the locomotor capacities of a bipedal, cursorial theropod to
those of any small mammal is not helpful.  Since therians came
ready-made with arboreal adaptations (increased flexure, manus/pes
rotation, prehensile ability, etc), they are a world apart from
paravians, which come from a long line of cursorial, digitigrade
bipeds.

> LOL. I really do not think the mega-theropods were targeting crow-sized
> animals, period.

Yes, that's what I thought too.  So why were these crow-sized animals
(like Archie &co) seeking refuge in trees in the first place?

Cheers

Tim