Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

> Yes, that's what I thought too.  So why were these crow-sized animals
> (like Archie &co) seeking refuge in trees in the first place?

One hypothesis: to keep their broods of hatchlings out of the way of nocturnal
mammalian predators (by the way this is the same reason that ground birds do it
today). A T. rex gobbling flocks of small paravians out of tree crowns may
stretch credulity. But we know for certain that terrestrial Mesozoic mammals
like Repenomamus or the Deltatheridiid that swallowed Archaeornithoides preyed
on small juvenile dinosaurs.

Jason Brougham
Senior Principal Preparator
American Museum of Natural History