New papers in Vertebrata Palasiatica

From: Ben Creisler
bh480@scn.org

First of all, apologies to the DML for the mistranslation of the title of
the journal in the Chinese news story about a swimming theropod. I saw the
news story late last night and quickly ran it through Google Translate,
which translated the journal title in the text as "Journal of Vertebrate
Paleontology" instead of "Vertebrata PalAsiatica." I posted to the DML
without double-checking with my own translation of all the details in the
Google-tool results. The original Chinese text gives the correct name of
the journal, but Google's Chinese tool does not recognize it apparently.
I'll do my own translations of Chinese journal titles in the future....

The new issue of Vertebrata PalAsiatica has a number of Mesozoic-related
papers:
http://english.ivpp.cas.cn/sp/PalAsiatica/vp_list/201102/t20110216_65121.htm
The pdfs are free.

Thanks to Xing Lida for posting this one already:

Xing Lida, Jerald D. Harris, and Gerard D. Gierliñski (2011).
Therangospodus and Megalosauripus track assemblage from the Upper
Jurassic-Lower Cretaceous Tuchengzi Formation of Chicheng County, Hebei
Province, China and their paleoecological implications.
Vertebrata PalAsiatica 49(4): 423-434
http://www.ivpp.cas.cn/cbw/gjzdwxb/xbwzxz/201110/P020111031564840054543.pdf

One hundred sixty-three footprints that pertain in Therangospodus have been
found in the Tuchengzi Formation at the Luofenggou track stie in Chincheng
County, Hebei Province, China. Five swim tracks were subsequently made by
the same track makers after water submerged the region. In addition to the
Therangospodus tracks, one exceptionally large theropod track and one
possible trail trace are referred to Megalosauripus isp. Theropod tracks of
the grallatorid morphotype predominate at this site and six other known
Tuchengzi Formation track sites; grallatorid tracks at each of these sites
are dominated by individual specimens in particular size ranges. If the
tracks were made by the same species of track maker, the variation in
dominant track size among sites suggests that cohabiting groups were
composed mainly of members of a single age class, ethologically similar to
some extant lizards and Alligator. If the tracks were instead made by
different species, their size distribution (favoring smaller species)
suggests that species of different sizes may have preferred discrete
territories or specifically avoided close contact with other (particularly
larger) species, ethologically similar to modern carnivorous mammals.

LI Yan, ZHANG Yu-Guang, ZHOU Zhong-He, LI Zhi-Heng, LIU Di, and WANG
Xiao-Lin (2011).
New material of Gansus and a discussion on its habit.
Vertebrata PalAsiatica 49(4): 435-445
http://www.ivpp.cas.cn/cbw/gjzdwxb/xbwzxz/201110/P020111031564333599957.pdf

Some newly discovered postcranial material of Gansus yumenensis are
described, adding to our understanding of the skeletal anatomy of this
basal ornithurine. Such anatomical features include a laterally exposed
sternum with a sickle-shaped keel, the ulnare with small metacarpal
incision, complete loss of ungual of the minor digit, and manual phalangeal
formula of "2-3-1", as well as some more detailed features of the leg
bones. The new material not only provided additional evidence of
interdigital web but also preserved some scale-like skin impressions near
the joint between the tibiotarsus and tarsometatarsus. A statistic analysis
of the measurements of the sternum and major elements of the leg of Gansus
further supports the hypothesis that this bird was a volant and diving
bird, similar to that of extant ducks.

Wang Qiang, Zhao Zi-kui, Wang Xiao-lin, and Jiang Yan-gen (2011).
New ootypes of dinosaur eggs from the Late Cretaceous in Tiantai Basin,
Zhejiang Province, China.
Vertebrata PalAsiatica 49(4):  446-449
http://www.ivpp.cas.cn/cbw/gjzdwxb/xbwzxz/201110/P020111031563834955914.pdf

In the past ten years, a number of dinosaur eggs were found in the Tiantai
Basin in Zhejiang Province, and some oospecies were reported by Fang et al.
(2000, 2003), Jin et al. (2007) and Qian et al. (2008). In 2010, we
described and revised 12 oogenera and 15 oospecies belonging to seven
oofamilies in this basin (Wang, 2010), and some new types were reported
(Wang et al., 2010a, b, Zhang, (2010). At the same time, we comprehensively
surveyed localities and horizons of the dinosaur eggs and compared the
dinosaur egg faunas in China (Wang et al., in press). Here we report a few
more new ootypes of dinosaur eggs from the Tiantai Basin.