Re: 11th specimen of Archaeopteryx

Am 31.10.2011 06:21, schrieb Tim Williams

> BTW, you mentioned trees taller than 3 m. Precisely such trees
> appear not to have existed in Archie's environment, unless all
> known individuals were blown in from the presumably forested
> Bohemian Mass 200 km away and didn't live on the small islands in
> the lagoon.

 I had thought fossil branches and leaves from conifers, gingkos and
 other large (or large-ish) trees had been found in Archie's habitat.
 Add to that the preservation of large sawflies, which again suggests
 large trees or logs.

These plant remains could all be driftwood, and the sawflies could have been blown in. The plated limestones also preserve remains of cheirolepidiacean hyperxerophilic cactus-on-steroids conifers that I don't expect to have grown in the same habitat as a ginkgo.

(...And yes, the spelling is with kg. That's because _kgo_ is a particularly stupid misreading of a handwritten _kyo_; compare the somewhat less stupid "gavial" from _gharial_. For farther headdesking and facepalming go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo_biloba#Etymology )