From: Heinrich Mallison [mailto:heinrich.mallison@googlemail.com]
Sent: 31 August 2011 22:24
To: Dinosaur Mailing List
Subject: Re: Meet Triceratops

OK, maybe I got the wrong impression from the mounts I have seen -
most were not-too-great casts. I really need to get my hands on a good
specimen, scan it, and digitally mount it. And, not to foget the most
important part: model locomotion!
:)

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 10:41 PM, Jaime Headden <qi_leong@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> What Heinrich is getting at is that there is an extent of cartilage around
the epiphyses that is to some extent _under_ emphasized in modern
reconstructions, although some artists (*cough* not me *cough*) take extra
care to try to -accurately_ represent this size increase. In sauropods, for
example, the amount of cartilage in the limbs and potentially in the
vertebrae could have been relatively high, while in smaller animals and
avian-stem theropods, likely quite small (depending...). Increasing the
cartilage in ceratopsians may alter the active range of motion and the
degree of forelimb sprawl while still fitting the limbs into the prints.

> Cheers,
>
>  Jaime A. Headden
>  The Bite Stuff (site v2)
>  http://qilong.wordpress.com/

> his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a
Billion Backs)