RE: Crop for seed-eating found in Hongshanornis and Sapeornis

The first photo (as it seems the others might be) look like crops from the
paper, with white borders and portions of the adjacent images as part of a
figure remaining. A poor crop for the site. In the first image, on the lower
left, there appears to be a digital artifact where someone copy-pasted a
section of the slab over the grayish region, indicating a region of the slab
was obscured for the figure. The image is also taken at an angle where the
ditsal (cranial) region of the skeleton is further from the light than the
lower (pedal) region. Is it too much to ask to get decent specimen photography
and no digital shortcuts in speciment presentation? If its the specimen number
on the slab that's being digitally edited out, why remove it?

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)
  http://qilong.wordpress.com/