RE: Propanoplosaurus, nodosaur hatchling natural mold from Maryland

  As I recall, *Mussaurus patagonicus* and *Podokesaurus holyokensis* are not
considered highly due to their ontogenetic nature or the quality of
preservation (respectively, where in the latter the type was destroyed _in
order_ to produce an "adequate" cast. The material have been relatively
strongly regarded as lacking diagnostic qualities, although the latter has been
supported by some authors (Matt Carrano's various papers continually refer to
it as potentially valid, following Colbert and Baird's revision) due to
apparently differently shaped dorsal neural spines ("fan shaped") and the
ischium, but this pends extensive revision of *Coelophysis bauri*. Provenance
alone should not support taxonomy, nor should apparent quality of proportions
when we lack this with purported close relatives. *Mussaurus patagonicus* is
almost exclusively coded from undescribed adult or subadult specimens, none of
which appear directly and/or exclusively related to the holotype hatchling.
This would be akin to me naming the Ukhaa Tolgod oviraptorid embryo as a new
taxon and differentiating it due to relative ossification and proportions!

  I've not read the paper, so my statements bear only with the comments on the
abstract posted. I would be delighted to receive a copy, though.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)
  http://qilong.wordpress.com/