Re: Dinosaur Revolution: Anatomical Nitpicking

Oh all, right, Thom has dragged me into this fray.  I've been trying to lay low
so people can talked honestly without worrying about my lil'ol feelings.

  Some early models I did were a little slight on the pterygoid and depressor
mandibulae.  It's there, its just not beefed up to alligator proportions
because it was modeled in an open position.  I was hoping to get some blend
shapes in the jaw, in other words, when it closes the muscle bulges noticeably.
 I guess I was just spoiled by the muscle systems that are used in feature
films.  When I saw that was not going to happen, and Scott Hartman called me
out on it too, I made sure it was adjusted to my preference in other models.
Same goes for the d. mandibulae, but with that one I think it gets lost in neck
folds.  For the Allosaurus the jaw was so distorted and pulled forward that it
lessened the bulge even more.  His nasal was broken too.  We added a slight
side to side motion on the jaw ( with a barely audible click) and chalked it up
to his messed up anatomy.

  If I had any other crits of my own works I'd say that I wish I had created
fleshier nostrils and put a cfm on the Glacialosaurus.  I really don't know how
that happened!  Please don't hurt me Heinrich ;-)  A missing tail fluke on the
Tylosaurus was a case of the info coming out JUST after the model was
delivered.  There are some other things I could name but I'm sure others will
pick them out for me.  Just be mindful of the huge amount of modeling that was
achieved.  Just ask poor Scott how many late night crits he had to dole out.

  And, speaking of Genndy Tartikovsky...I WAS working on a realistic dinosaur
movie with him, with no narration a few years back.  I lived across the hall
from Genndy at Cal Arts for a few years so he knew my dinosaur obsession.  I
was the Production Designer and a Storyboard artist on that show for 6-7
months.  It was really cool, although the execs got scared about big scary
dinosaurs so...well,  you know where I'm going here.  Even though we had a
killer animatic of the whole story and were in talks with Tippet the show was
scrapped.  I think I made Genndy read Raptor Red...I don't remember.