RE: Dinosaur Revolution: Anatomical Nitpicking

In a healthy individual, no! The lower jaw would fit entirely within the upper
jaw, producing what I call the "wrap-around
overbite."

But this is a definitely pathological individual, who had the crap smacked out
of its face as a juvenile and healed poorly.

By the way, I'm going to use this post for a citable reference on Wikipedia's
Dino Rev page; Wikipedians, you know what to do...:

* The ornithopod in episode 2 is in fact Draconyx. Too bad we see it for just a
couple of seconds, as this is (I believe) the first
time this taxon has been animated.

* The basic model for the dicynodont in episode 1 is based on Placerias, when
that storyline was going to be in the Chinle (and be
Postosuchus vs. Placerias vs. Coelophysis). However, with a shift to the
Ischigualasto Fm., Coelophysis was replaced with Eoraptor,
Postosuchus with Saurosuchus, and Placerias with Ischigualastia.

* There are two separate unnamed crocodyliforms in episode 3: a large-bodied
semiaquatic predator in the Utahraptor sequence, and a
generalized carnivorous notosuchian in the Anhanguera sequence.

* The Protoceratops in episode 3 is not the classic P. andrewsi, but is instead
the newly-discovered P. hellenikorhinus. (Check out
the profile  of the adult male skulls). Thus, this sequence is placed not in
the Djadochta proper, but slightly upsection (the time
of the Bayan Mandahu/Wulansuhai Fm. deposits), making the Velociraptor in this
story V. osmolskae rather than V. mongoliensis.
(Given the very little material of V. osmolskae, this really doesn't make a
lick of difference, however.)

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216