Re: Eufalconimorphae and homoplasy in mol-phyl

Hi David,

I'm sorry for causing confusion - I meant Columbiformes sensu stricto
(Columbidae + Raphidae, although for the latter there are no nuclear sequences
available). I admit that I wasn't quite aware that "traditionally",
Pteroclidae were also included in this taxon (maybe because the latter were
shifting a lot in the trees of different sequence analyes)...

For looking at the relationships of Mesitornithidae, Pteroclidae and other
early-branching Neoaves, I assume that retroposon data "could" help, but only
once a (partial) genome of one of these has been sequenced (= a lot of new
marker candidates and many more well-alignable genomic regions for
cross-species comparisons). Unfortunately, the current amount of whole genome
and partial genome data is not enough for tackling these branches (given that
you strive to find several, unconflicting markers in order to find a
conclusion that "helps").

Best regards,
Alex