Re: Dinosaur Revolution Review

2011/9/13 Anthony Docimo <keenir@hotmail.com>:

>> Good post, Mickey. I also disliked the anthropomorphic behaviour of
>> the dinosaurs. Pieces of humour as the allosaur bitting off the small
>> coelurosaur's head as Carney did with Parry also seem improbable, for
>> better would be for the allosaur to eat the entire coelurosaur, or
>> carry the body to its nest.
>
> if the point was to make it stop making those noises, you don't have to eat
> it (particularly if the allosaur wasn't hungry)

But isn't trying to shut up another animal anthropomorphic? I do not
know animals which do this, and can only remember Sawyer from Lost
doing so to a frog.

Now that I remember I saw a tape with a leopard killing a jackal and
then severing its head. However, it was not for they not letting him
sleep, but apparently because the jackal was betraying his position.
In addition, the leopard started eating the jackal. Besides, given
that getting flesh to eat is not easy cake for most carnivores, I
would tend to think that immediately eating the carcass or at least
carrying it to his side or hiding itwould be a better stategy.
However, it's true that some carnivores kill other carnivores without
eating them, as scarcely adaptive as it may seem (perhaps out of fear
to retaliation by packs of smaller animals)?

Regarding the Cryolophosaurus scene, I have two "soft" complains.
First, I am not sure a female would so easily let an intruder male to
destroy her eggs. True, the stronger male may have better genes, but
the female already went through much investment in feeding and caring
for the embryos in its eggs lo let them be lost so easily. At least, I
were unable to see this in Recent animals. Second, I do not know of
animals that destroy their competitor's sexual adornment (not saying
there aren't). This may seem unlikely given that losing males seem to
escape before they get so much beating instead of insisting against
stronger males.