RE: Dinosaur Revolution Review

[snipped a lot of good stuff: go back to the original to read]

It think the error here is the appropriate level at which to look at the
"feathers-back-to-scale" issue. Almost certainly it is
impossible to "go back" **at the follicle level**: once a follicle is dedicated
to one of those modes, it is probably dedicate for
life (or simply turns off).

But we are dealiing with organisms here that in some cases increase their
surface areas by many many many many orders of magnitude,
while scale size (for instance) increases at no where near that rate. Almost
certainly there was the appearance of new follicles
during ontogeny: the developmental process in these has (so far as I know) not
been explored in great detail.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216