Re: Dino-fuzz found in amber?

R DeSalle, J Gatesy, W Wheeler and D Grimaldi
DNA sequences from a fossil termite in Oligo-Miocene amber and their
phylogenetic implications
"ABSTRACT
DNA was extracted from the fossil termite Mastotermes electrodominicus
preserved in Oligo-Miocene amber (25 million to 30 million years old).
Fragments of mitochondrial [16S ribosomal DNA (rDNA)] and nuclear (18S
rDNA) genes were amplified by polymerase chain reaction. Phylogenetic
analysis of fossil and extant 18S rDNA confirmed morphological
cladistic analyses of living dictyopterans (termites, cockroaches, and
mantids). The fossil termite shares several sequence attributes with
Mastotermes darwiniensis. Addition of this fossil to living-species
phylogeny is required to substantiate Mastotermes monophyly and
affects molecular phylogenetic hypotheses of termites in this, the
oldest DNA yet characterized."
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/257/5078/1933.short

[]s,

Roberto Takata