RE: Dinosaur Revolution Review

> Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 14:15:29 +1000
> From: tijawi@gmail.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Dinosaur Revolution Review
>
> Jura <pristichampsus@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Anthony Docimo <keenir@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Some might argue that that is what birds can afford to do, after they first
> > got good at flying around.
>

> Confuciusornithids seem to have been poor fliers - and yet they had
> elaborate, non-aerodynamic tail feathers that would have been an
> outright hindrance to flight.

 My apologies, then; when I read the statement that modern birds fly around
with all sorts of heavy things on their person...I did not think that two
tailfeathers (however long they are) qualified as ponderously heavy.
(though from watching nature shows, I've noticed that long-tailed hummingbirds
and Birds of Paradise oft aren't the best of fliers)

> _Epidexipteryx_ and _Caudipteryx_ had
> feathers that were used solely for display (different kinds of
> feathers), so this habit of using feathers solely for ornamentation
> was retained in aerial taxa such as _Confuciusornis_, no matter what
> the aerodynamic cost.

 I don't know... you say it yourself: they're different kinds of feathers, so
it would be like comparing walrus whiskers to llama fur.  ;)