RE: Running around like an Ornitholestes with his head cut off...

  I wonder if this "activity" of lip reading is anecdotal, but moreover that
it's based on the premise that the movement of the jaw after removal of the
head was somehow identical to such movement while the head was attached and the
body lived. Note these were the people who believed in phlogiston and the
principles of vital "humours", elemental alchemy and the properties of
"bleeding" to remove "ills" before the germ theory was in any way put forward,
and that twitching corpses are somehow demonically possessed. Recall that
medieval eastern Europeans up through last century still rebury corpses face
down with hewn-wood stakes through their chests in order to prevent them from
rising as nosferatu. Earlier, is was believed that erratic and chaotic
mutterings of people under the influence of sulfuric inhalation was somehow
divine (read, the Oracle at Delphi).

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)