Re: Rconstructing DNA (was Re: Dino-fuzz found in amber?)

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Erik Boehm <erikboehm07@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Now lets say we have an extinct sequence indicating Serine.
> Now lets say in extant organisms we also find Serine.
> What then?

Then we have the DNA sequence of extant organisms...

> Suppose we find its sometimes also Threonine or Alanine.

Align the protein sequences - including the paleoprotein; align the
DNA sequences. Analyze phylogenetically: where in the three the fossil
organism settle down?

> There simply isn't enough information contained within the amino acid
> sequence to determine the DNA sequence that produced it.

Remember that for extant organism we could have the DNA sequence.

[]s,

Roberto Takata