RE: Dinosaur Revolution Review (Baby Fuzz)

Scott Hartman Wrote:

"1) Have the juvenile fuzz grow out of pebbly-scaled skin, rather than
naked skin.  Or...

2) Have the adults have naked skin in those areas that were fuzzy as a
hatchling.  I don't know if it would be aesthetically pleasing, but
there's no reason a grown T. rex might not have a scale-covered tail,
feet, and snout and be otherwise naked-skinned."

Matt Martyniuk Wrote:

"This second option Scott lists is the closest analogue to the actual
fossil record, as far as I can tell. As Mickey states on The Theropod
Database:"

-------------------------

  I somehow missed the bit about Dr. Holtz's description of the Gorgosaurus
skin. Based on his description, I would guess that it may have been somewhere
between those two options. The adult may have retained some of its feathers
with those sections of the skin sparsely scaled while feathers were in between.
As they grew to adulthood, the scaled areas may have expanded as the surface
area increased. I believe that is what Dr. Holtz suggested earlier in this
thread.

  Also, I think we should be careful when making arguments from analogy based
on extant birds. Imagine if we were unaware of the Hoatzin. I suspect many
would likely express incredulity at the notion that a species of bird could
replace clawed hands with wings as it matured. I would not be surprised at all
if we discovered for instance that hadrosaurid hatchlings were fuzzy. If this
were the case, it leaves me to wonder why at least one species of sauropod was
born scaled and not 'fuzzy'. Perhaps it was the reverse of what we see today
with modern birds? We never see birds replacing feathers with scales, but as
several others have explained, this may be a derived trait of Neornithes and
atypical of the rest of Dinosauria. Perhaps the reverse happened at some point
with Sauropod evolution. I have a few guesses as to why: many titanosaurs were
covered in armor not unlike ankylosaurs and so they lack feathers in favor of
armor. Or perhaps sauropods developed an alternate system of thermoregulation
more effective for such massive animals. Crocodiles use highly vascular scutes
while giraffes use vascular dark patches of skin; maybe sauropods did the same.
So, I will remain comfortable with depictions of fuzzy dinosaur babies until we
find non sauropod hatchlings with preserved integument. The advantages provided
by insulation for a fast growing baby dinosaur would be great, and there is at
least one example of an equally, if not more dramatic ontogenetic change in one
extant species of dinosaur>
http://geology.cwru.edu/~huwig/catalog/slides/695.I.12.jpg