Re: Dinosaur Revolution Review

Am 16.09.2011 19:57, schrieb Anthony Docimo:

>>> Birds get away with flying around with all kinds of strange
>>> display structures that would weigh more than a light covering
>>> of scales would.
>>
>> Some might argue that that is what birds can afford to do, after
>> they first got good at flying around.
>>
>> You can put carpets and chairs in modern planes (even small
>> ones), but the Wright Flier had to watch how much material it
>> took on board.
>
> But birds didn't lose their teeth when they started to fly. They
> lost them later, and several times independently.

 Aside from perhaps _Incis[ivo]saurus_, what maniraptors used their
 teeth as display structures?

Display isn't my point. Expendable weight is my point. The hypothesis that Jason has contested is the one which claims that the teeth of birds were lost because their weight was a disadvantage in flight. (It used to be textbook wisdom.) I, too, disagree with it, because so many fully toothed flying birds are now known; that's what I tried to say.