RE: Dinosaur Revolution Review

> Kris Wrote:

> Sadly, "joe public" can, and often is, *that* ignorant. Just tell
> anyone you meet on the street that you study dinosaurs and pay close
> attention to 96.8% of the reactions (you get an "awwwww, that's
> cute"-type of look).

  Wow, where do you live? Because where I live close to half (including family
members) would tell me that I'm going straight to
hell for promoting evolution and the other half would be incredulous when it
comes to science in general. The latter half would be highly dismissive about
*any* claims made about an animal that has been dead for a 155 million years.
So, I'm not really worried about them swallowing every little detail of this
show as fact. What I am worried about is them not being the least bit
interested in evolution and natural history in general.  I am not worried about
the rather small demographic of teenage dinosaur fans that watch it, as they
will likely be on some 'Jurassic Park' forum the next day picking apart every
little mistake. So, in short, I envy you for living wherever you are...

  I understood from the beginning that this show was basically meant to be a
more accurate version of Disney's 'Dinosaur', or more specifically, an animated
version of this comic book> http://youtu.be/X0Nz0y7qXFw. Which I personally
thought was great. The model work in 'Dinosaur Revolution' was superior and
more accurate than any BBC doc I've seen so far; that includes 'Planet
Dinosaur'. Of course, being a made for TV show with a restricted budget on a
network that has been steadily dumbing down its programs didn't help, and so it
has its flaws. But, since I didn't have to pay anything to watch it, I'm not
going to complain too much.

> while performing Looney Tune antics and stupid pet tricks... Not that
> these were actual, living, breathing animals that have been brought to
> life using the latest scientific knowledge...

  This show was meant to be a form of lighthearted  xenofiction, not a David
Attenborough ducumentary.  For that you have 'Planet Dinosaur'... well sort of.
I mean it's almost like complaining that 'Bambi' was a horrible movie because
its portrayal of North American wildlife wasn't accurate , and so it's
misinforming people all over about white tailed dear.

  Just to be clear, I do understand your disappointment, since you seem to have
been expecting something rather different than what you got. But the show, for
what it was meant to be, wasn't a disaster, and I thought the T. rex 'End Game'
episode was great. I thought the 2nd episode was pretty good as well. I missed
the 3rd episode so I can't comment on that one. I'm pretty exited about 'Planet
Dinosaur' and I do prefer its more intelligent scientific approach. However, on
the other hand, I do think there is a place for a less serious more family
friendly show that helps get a younger audience as well as some not so
paleo-savy adults interested in the subject as well.

BTW if you think 'Joe Public' is bad where wherever you are, you should come to
Michigan and try telling someone you are also interested in human evolution and
see what kind of reactions you get ; ).

Sim Koning