Re: Dinosaur Revolution Review

2011/9/17 David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>:

> There is evidence for playing in crocodiles. Check out this
> http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2009/06/alligators_vs_melons.php and
> the link in it.

Thank you as always for the information... The I restate it saying
that we should only infer playing forms found in near relatives. For
example, we should see if there is evidence of crocodiles and basal
birds playing with elements in the same way a dog pup does before
restoring a theropod chick getting dog-like.

>>  signaling the direction to look to other clan members with their
>>  second finger
>
> Not even chimpanzees do _that_.

I do not remember seeing or reading about anything non-human doing so
either. But it is a possibility that some documentarist may want to
use, and it would be difficult for me to prove that piece of
anthropomorphism is wrong. Even more considering Dawkins' (and
other's) statement that purposeful-like behaviour may emerge without
our conscience. The only argument I can find to oppose such a ugly
idea (as well as some other anthropomorphic reconstructions) is
parsimony.