RE: The fate of Nyctosaurus specimen KJ2

So it would have been better to remain ignorant about Nyctosaurus' crest
morphology than to have it published on and later (probably?) lost to science?
I know the standard reply is that the descriptions now have no scientific value
because they can't be independantly verified, but no one ever applies this to
fossils which are lost in other ways.  JVP has published papers discussing the
Spinosaurus holotype for instance, and unlike KJ2, that doesn't even have a
possibility of being recovered for science.  It's also published papers
discussing Quetzalcoatlus northropi, which has been virtually hidden from
researchers for decades.  How are we supposed to verify Langston's descriptions
under these conditions?  And what happens a century or two from now when
specimens like Dryptosaurus break down from handling and pyrite disease despite
being housed in museums?  Will Dryptosaurus then fade from paleontological
reality because no one can verify the published descriptions and photographs,
even though the majority of experts use them for their information now?

If you want to try to discourage fossil sales by not publishing on sold
fossils, that's a political position people could discuss (though I doubt the
policy has much effect on fossil sales).  But it also denies the world
scientific knowledge, even if that knowledge is based on temporary examination,
which is the same of all paleontological knowledge in the long run.  As for me,
I'd rather learn everything we can, even when conditions aren't ideal.  There
are a finite number of fossils out there, we can't afford to be choosy if we
want to know about them all.

Mickey Mortimer